Senior Software Engineer, Telemetry DataPortland, OR
Autonomic’s open, cloud-based platform — the Transportation Mobility Cloud — will connect the diverse components of urban mobility systems — connected vehicles, mass transit, pedestrians, city infrastructure and service providers — with the goal of orchestrating a safer, more efficient and sustainable transportation network.
Autonomic is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company.
About Our Telemetry Data Team
Autonomic’s mission is to be the world’s leading cloud platform for connected vehicles. Critical components to this mission are the TMC’s (Transportation Mobility Cloud) data model and ingestion services.
Being responsible for both the TMC’s data model and ingestion services, the Telemetry Data team sits at the core of Autonomic’s business. On our busiest day, we ingest and convert close to 10 billion signals (e.g., seat belt status) and events (e.g, harsh braking) from electric, autonomous, and connected vehicles in general. Our goal is to design and build clean data sets that are accessible by our customers in real-time. We maintain world-class taxonomies to organize the massive amount of vehicle data we receive. Our customers use our taxonomies and data to derive insights and make critical business decisions.
As part of the Telemetry Data engineering team, we work on challenging data architecture, ingestion, conversion, and data modeling problems. We are responsible for our large-scale, high-speed ingestion service and for creating sophisticated tools, processes, and data versioning techniques to manage Autonomic’s taxonomies.
At Autonomic, we maintain a culture of growth and openness to new ideas, practices, and community that includes publications, conferences, and meetup participation. Our people and teams ultimately drive our success. We are dedicated to building a culture where we all can thrive.
We have the unprecedented opportunity to build the core systems in an automotive cloud with a team that is passionate about making it happen. Join us and build something amazing!
- Deliver on the vision, strategy, and roadmap for the development, refinement, and ingestion of the structured data representation for Autonomic’s platform
- Focus on data architecture, design, source data instrumentation, ETL pipeline optimization, and data model implementation
- Follow latest data and schema management standards and trends
- Participate in all aspects of the product life cycle: design, development, deployment, and operations
- Build high performance distributed systems that solve large scale engineering challenges
- Design and build stream processing systems that deal with unbounded data
- Continuously improve existing code, infrastructure, and operational processes
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Manage telemetry, commands, and messages definitions including the processes that provide these definitions to our customers
- Collaborate with people in your team and across a broad variety of job functions
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related degree
- 5+ years of experience in Java or C++ Development
- 5+ years with building and deploying microservices
- Prior experience with gRPC, Kafka, and Kubernetes
- 5+ years of experience in Cloud Platforms, such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure
- Self-directed and proactive attitude
- Flexibility for occasional travel, including international
- Professional, friendly, and approachable at all times
- 2 years of experience building applications in the transportation industry
- 2 years of experience in data modeling with Protocol Buffers, Thrift, or Avro
- 1 year of experience with Schema Registries
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone who is passionate about shaping the future of connected vehicles at Autonomic!
Job Title For This Position
Our job positions are broken down internally based on job competencies that are specific to each role. Should you be hired with us, the job title that you are hired under may therefore differ slightly from what is advertised in this job posting to best align with the competencies of the role and your specific background and experience.
Our Statement Regarding Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity
Autonomic is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to fostering a diverse workforce, free from harassment and discrimination, in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity.
Autonomic does not discriminate on the basis of any grounds prohibited by applicable laws. Autonomic’s equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination policies apply to all employees, all applicants for employment, and all aspects of the employment relationship.
Accommodations for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes, where needed, are available upon request. Please let us know if you need assistance completing or participating in the application process.
We consider diversity in our workforce to be an invaluable asset, and we strive to provide an inclusive work environment in which different ideas, perspectives, and beliefs are respected. It is the duty of every employee to assist Autonomic in maintaining this culture of inclusion.
Applicants who receive a job offer will undergo background checks. Autonomic complies with applicable laws regarding background checks, and applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain and correct any criminal history background information during the hiring process.
By submitting an application, I hereby certify that:
- I accurately disclosed all relevant information on this application and will, in the future, provide accurate information throughout the hiring process.
- I understand that any false statement, representation or omission of requested information may result in disqualification from employment with Autonomic, or, if discovered after I am hired, termination of employment.I understand the application is not an employment agreement, that (for U.S. locations only) employment with Autonomic is at will, and that employment is conditioned upon receipt of satisfactory background checks and provision of documentary proof of my legal right to work in the US or Canada, as applicable.